Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Stop 3-Pit stop in rural Minnesota

The adventure part of the Wild Wild West Adventure has truly started.  We left Chicago this morning and headed for our first destination with no friends to stay with and no reservations.

Emily made us a delicious quiche this morning and then we packed up the car and headed for Barrington, IL the town where the McKnights spent 1989-1994.  I found the old house and drove around the town and pointed out landmarks to Danielle.  We got groceries and then hit the road.  We drove through miles and miles and miles of corn.  Wisconsin wins the prize as the prettiest state so far.  It was miles and miles and miles of corn but there were hills to break up the monotony.  We stopped and got some cheese in Sparta, WI also home to a fiberglass statue of a person on a bike of which they are very proud.


 Corn

The bicycle guy and our WI products.


More corn and windmills we saw in MN



We intended to camp tonight but it is crazy hot outside so we are staying at the Cozy Motel in Luverne, MN.  This is the adventure part.  The motel is cheap, which is important, it has wireless internet, and it's a little on the run down side.  But we're only here for 8 hours before we leave for the highlight of the trip (for me), De Smet, South Dakota where Laura Ingalls Wilder spent many years and the family's homestead is still there.  This is the only place I told Danielle that  I wanted to visit.  I hope that the 105 degree heat doesn't take away from my enjoyment!

Our cozy room tonight

Danielle and I planned our trip to the northern states to escape the oppressive heat and humidity that DC has all summer.  So far, we have managed to visit during a heat wave that rivals the discomfort we felt in DC.  I've been stalking the weather in some of our other stops and it looks like we'll be leaving the heat behind us soon.

3 comments:

  1. I'm somewhat upset you didn't stop in Milwaukee and do Laverne and Shirley pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what John said. But also, when you get to Utah, only do selective Thelma and Louise, please. Keep cool! - Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously-- no running off a cliff in slow motion. Also, don't murder anyone.

    I'm sorry that I hadn't kept up with your blog until now. But since you now have pictures, I'll be checking in a lot more frequently. Miss you, Laurel (and you too, D)!!

    ReplyDelete